Health Ministry’s Kayakalp Awards- Key Facts
The Union Minister of Health and Family Welfare has inaugurated the fifth National Kayakalp Awards on January 12. These awards are given under the “Kayakalp” initiative of the government to award public health facilities.
- The District Hospital Reasi of Jammu and Kashmir has won the first prize under the Kayakalp scheme. The hospital has received a cash prize of Rs 50 lakh.
- The Jawaharlal Nehru Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education and Research (JIPMER) has won the second prize. JIPMER has been awarded under the Group A Central facilities category i.e. hospitals having more than a thousand beds.
- AIIMS Bhubaneswar has been named as the best central government hospital under Category B of the Kayakalp Awards for cleanliness for the 3rd consecutive time. Category B includes hospitals with less than a thousand beds.
- Mayurbhanj district’s Rairangpur Sub Divisional Hospital has been awarded as the best Sub-divisional hospital community health centre category.
- In the launch year, 716 District Hospitals and central government institutions participated in the initiative and now it has spread to 26,172 public health facilities.
National Kayakalp Awards
The “Kayakalp” initiative for awarding public health facilities was launched on May 15th, 2015. The award winners are awarded a cash prize and a citation. The awardees are accessed on various parameters like infection control, sanitation and hygiene, hospital upkeep, waste management, and community participation.
First rank and second rank holders at district-level hospitals are given Rs. 50 lakhs and Rs. 20 lakhs respectively under the scheme. First rank and second rank winners at Community health centres/sub-district hospitals level get Rs 15 lakhs and Rs. 10 lakhs respectively.
Primary health centre gets Rs 2 lakh as cash prize under the initiative.