Indian Standard for Digital Television Receivers
Television (TV) has come a long way since its invention, and it has become an integral part of our daily lives. In India, the government-owned broadcaster Doordarshan has been providing free-to-air television channels to the citizens since 1959. With the advancement in technology, Doordarshan has been phasing out analog transmissions and moving towards digital satellite transmissions.
The Need for In-built Satellite Tuners
- At present, TV viewers in the country need to purchase a set-top box for viewing various paid and free channels. The viewer is required to use a set-top box even for the reception of free-to-air channels (non-encrypted) transmitted by Doordarshan.
- With the phasing out of analog transmissions, free-to-air channels will continue to be broadcast using digital satellite transmission by Doordarshan. To enable the reception of these free-to-air channels without the use of a set-top box, there is a need for television receivers with inbuilt suitable satellite tuners.
- The Indian Standard IS 18112:2022 for television receivers with built-in satellite tuners addresses this need. The TVs manufactured as per this standard would enable the reception of free-to-air TV and radio channels, just by connecting a dish antenna with LNB mounted on a suitable place, such as the roof or side wall of a building.
- This would facilitate the transmission of knowledge about government initiatives, schemes, educational content of Doordarshan and a repository of Indian culture programs to reach and benefit a wide segment of population in the country at large.
Benefits of In-built Satellite Tuners
- The adoption of Indian Standard IS 18112:2022 for television receivers with built-in satellite tuners would bring several benefits for the consumers as well as the industry.
- It would provide a convenient and cost-effective solution for TV viewers as they would no longer need to purchase a separate set-top box for the reception of free-to-air channels. This would also lead to a reduction in e-waste as the number of set-top boxes in circulation would decrease.
- The standard would also provide guidelines for the manufacturers, which would help in ensuring the quality of the TVs with built-in satellite tuners.
- The standard lays down the requirements for the components of the television such as the satellite tuner, interfaces, and system requirements. It also provides tests for the evaluation of the quality of the television receiver.
- The inclusion of in-built satellite tuners would also lead to greater accessibility of free-to-air channels for viewers in remote and rural areas, where access to set-top boxes may be limited. This would enable the government's efforts to reach and benefit a wider population through the transmission of important information and educational content.
The Indian Standard IS 18112:2022 for television receivers with built-in satellite tuners is an important step towards providing a more convenient and cost-effective solution for TV viewers in India. The adoption of this standard would facilitate the reception of free-to-air channels without the use of a set-top box, leading to reduction in e-waste and greater accessibility of free-to-air channels in remote and rural areas. The standard also provides guidelines for manufacturers, ensuring the quality of the TVs with built-in satellite tuners.
Written by IAS POINT