India's First Labour Movement Museum
The first Labour Movement Museum of India is going to be launched in the Alappuzha district of Kerala. The museum which is being launched at the houseboat tourism hub (Alappuzha) will showcase the history of world labour movement.
Key features of the museum
- The museum will feature a huge repository of documents shaping the movements.
- It will also feature the exhibits that shaped the labour movements across India and that has impacted Alappuzha.
- The Alappuzha is known as the cradle of the labour movement in the country and in Kerala.
- The museum is situated alongside the Port and Coir museums.
- It displays the rich maritime heritage of the town.
- This museum is the first window in the country based on the class struggle and spirited fight of workers.
- The museum is being launched as part of the LDF government's second 100-day programme.
- The New Model Cooperative Society Limited has been converted into the Labour Movement Museum.
- The museum will showcase the growth of world labour movement through pictures, documents and other exhibits.
It is the administrative headquarters of Alappuzha District in Kerala. The city ranks third among all the districts of Kerala in literacy rate. The city was rated as the cleanest town in India in the year 2016 by Centre for Science and Environment. It is the oldest planned city in this region. The town had a virtual monopoly over the production and shipping of coir made of coconut husk. It also has a rich commercial and maritime heritage which dates back to the ancient times. It also has a lighthouse that is built on the coast of the city. This light house is the first of its kind along the Laccadive Sea coast.
Laccadive Sea or Lakshadweep Sea
It is a body of water bordering India, the Maldives, and Sri Lanka. It is located in the southwest of Karnataka, west of Kerala and south of Tamil Nadu. It is a warm sea which has a stable water temperature through the year.