Iron ore policy 2021
The Iron Ore Policy, 2021 was recently approved the Ministry of Railways. This policy has been formulated with the aim of governing the allocation of the rakes and transportation of the iron-ore. This policy further seeks to meet the present day needs of customers and to assure that Indian Railways is fully committed to meet the complete requirement of transportation of iron ore to the customers. It has set down the guidelines about how to fully meet the requirement of customers by providing them the infrastructure facilities.
Iron Ore Policy 2021
- Under the new policy, the Categorization of Priority of movement of Iron Ore will now be based on the availability of Railway infrastructure developed by the customer.
- Now, the priority preferences for the customers will be self-generated by the Rake allotment scheme on the basis of customer profile.
- Under this policy, higher priority will be given to the movement of iron-ore traffic for domestic manufacturing activity.
- Under the domestic movement, priority will be given to steel, sponge iron, pig iron with private sliding at loading and unloading ends.
- The policy also categorizes the movement of iron ore on the basis of the availability of railway infrastructure developed by customers. The nature of movement will help in maximizing the iron-ore movement by rail.
Iron Ore loading into Indian Railways
- Iron ore is the second most important stream Indian Railways traffic.
- The total freight loading of Indian Railways stands at the 1,210 tonnes.
- Out of these, around 153 million tonnes loading are of Iron ore.
- The data from the 2019-20 states that, the Iron ore along with the steel account for more than 17% of total freight loading of Indian Railways.
Iron Reserves in India
In India, there are around 9600 million tonnes of Hematite and around 3400 million tonnes of magnetite from which Iron can be extracted. The states of Chhattisgarh, Karnataka, Odisha, Jharkhand, Madhya Pradesh, Goa, Kerala, Maharashtra, Tamil Nadu and Rajasthan are major iron-ore producing states in India.