Samvidhan Diwas, which is well known as Constitution Day, is celebrated all over India on 26th November, to mark the adoption of the Constitution of India. Every year as part of the celebrations, various Ministries/Departments and organizations organize seminars, discussions, and various activities on the principles enshrined in the Constitution.
- The Constituent Assembly of India adopted the Indian Constitution on 26 November 1949 and it came into effect on January 26, 1950.
- The day was declared to be celebrated as Samvidhan Divas on November 19, 2015.
- Before this, November 26 was observed as Law Day.
Celebrating Samvidhan Diwas 2020: All India Presiding Officersâ€™ Conference
- This year, the President of India, Ram Nath Kovind inaugurated a 2-day All India Presiding Officersâ€™ Conference at Kevadia, Gujarat on the occasion of Samvidhan Diwas 2020. Vice-President of India Venkaiah Naidu and the Speaker of the Lok Sabha, Om Birla addressed the conference.
- â€œHarmonious coordination between Executive, Legislature, and Judiciary-Key to a Vibrant Democracyâ€ is the theme of the conference.
- Union Minister of Social Justice & Empowerment, Thawar Chand Gehlot also released a documentary titled â€œIllustrations and Calligraphy in the Constitution of Indiaâ€ in New Delhi.
- The conference also has a multimedia exhibition depicting the journey of democratic tradition in India, starting from Vedic Times through the Lichchavi period to the final making of Modern Democratic India. The exhibition has been jointly set up by the Bureau of Outreach Communication and Parliamentary Museum & Archives.
Another important part of the Constitution Day celebration is the reading of the Preamble to the Constitution. It will be led by the President of India and will be carried out across the country. Department of Social Justice & Empowerment is the nodal department for coordinating the celebrations of the day.