UAE to set up Food processing centre in Srinagar
The UAE-based Lulu group have announced to set up a food processing centre in Srinagar, Jammu & Kashmir.
- The food processing unit would be set to source a wide range of agri products from Jammu and Kashmir.
- This was announced was made by Yusuffali MA, chairman of Lulu Group.
- The meeting was held by the government of Jammu and Kashmir on the sidelines of UAE India Food Security Summit 2020.
- It was organised by the Consulate General of India Dubai and Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) and Invest India.
- Both the sides, Lulu group and Fruit Master Agro Fresh Jammu and Kashmir, signed a MoU to supply the apple and other fruits for the supermarkets of Lulu group.
- These supermarkets of Lulu group is established all across the Gulf Countries.
- Lulu Group is fully focusing to source a wide range of agri products from Jammu and Kashmir based on the agreement signed during Prime Minister’s visit to UAE in 2019.
- During the meeting, decisions were taken to promote the export of Agriculture and Horticulture products from Jammu and Kashmir.
- Lulu group will set up the logistic facilities and offices at the identified facilities in Jammu and Kashmir.
J&K -Lulu group collaboration
Lulu group presently imports apples and saffron from Kashmir. The imports will increase in the coming years. In the year 2020, Lulu group imported more than 400 tons of Kashmiri apples even during the current pandemic situation.
India-UAE trade relation
UAE is the top trading partner of India in the entire West Asia North Africa (WANA) region. It represents 75 percent of India’s export to Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) nations. Exports from India to UAE account for 6 percent of global exports from India. In 2008–09, India was the largest trade partner of the UAE with bilateral trade exceeded to US$44.5 billion.
Other MoU between India and UAE
In 2018, a MoU was signed between India and United Arab Emirates (UAE) on Technical Cooperation in the Rail Sector. It was signed with the Federal Transport Authority – Land & Maritime of UAE. The MOU provide platform to Indian Railways so as to interact and share latest developments and knowledge in the railway sector. It has been given approval by the cabinet.