Social Security Relief for Dependants: Labour Ministry
The Ministry of Labour and Employment has announced additional benefits for the dependents of workers who have passed away due to the Covid-19 virus under the ESIC and EPFO schemes. This slew of additional benefits will help in reducing the anxiety and fear of the workers about concerns regarding the well-being of their family members due to the increasing number of COVID related deaths.
As per the current existing norms, if any Insured Person gets disabled or dies while on duty, lifelong pension which is equal to 90% of the average daily wage of the worker is handed over to the spouse, widowed mother of the worker and to their children till they attain 25 years of age. If Insured person has a female child, benefit will be provided till her marriage. This scheme will be effective form 24th March, 2021 for a period of 2 years.
All dependent family members of the Insured persons, who had registered in the online portal of ESIC prior to the COVID-19 disease and deaths related to it, will also be provided with the same benefits and in the similar scale. There are certain condition that has to be made. They are:
- The Insured Person should have been registered on the ESIC online portal at least three months before getting diagnosed of the COVID-19 disease which resulted in their death.
- He must have been employed for a minimum of 78 days.
The centre has also made certain changes. They are:
- The maximum benefit amount has been increased from the previous 6 lakh to 7 lakh to be received by the family members of the deceased employee.
- To benefit the contractual/casual labourers who were losing out on benefits due to the condition of one continuous year in one establishment, the minimum assurance benefit of Rs 2.5 lakh will also be provided to the eligible family members of the deceased employees who, before his/her death, were a member of one or more establishments for a continuous period of 12 months.
- In the upcoming 3 years, it has been estimated that all the eligible family members will receive an additional benefit amounting of Rs. 2185 crore from EDLI fund in the years 2021 to 2024.
PM Modi has announced a number of welfare schemes for the orphaned children due to COVID-19. This includes an ensured corpus of Rs 10 lakh when they will turn 18 years of age and they will also be provided for their education.