World’s First Nano Urea to be launched by IFFCO
Nitrogen fertilizer-based Nano Urea will be launched in the market by Indian Farmers Fertiliser Cooperative (IFFCO) in the month of June, 2021.
Difference between Normal and Nano urea
- The about to be launched Nano Urea’s 500-ml is equivalent to 45 kg of Normal urea that is being used.
- 500 ml urea costs around 240 rupees which is about 10% cheaper than the cost of normal urea.
- Nano urea will also reduce input cost of the farmers by at least 15% and the yield cultivation will increase by about 20%.
About Nano Urea
- The urea which has been produced with the help of nano technology to improve the efficiency of the nutrients of crops is called as nano urea.
- Nano urea is produced by two ways: Firstly, liquor mixed with quinhydrone is prepared. Then, to form nano urea this previously made mixture is spread onto calcium cyanamide granules.
- In November 2020 the commercial use of nano urea in India was allowed.
Advantage of using Nano urea
Every year 350 lakhs metric tonnes of urea is used in India. The usage of nano-urea will reduce this consumption by half and hence, around 600 crore rupees out of the subsidy that is provided by the government can be saved. Also, India’s dependence on Urea import will also reduce. Along with this, the nano urea bottles being smaller will also help in reducing warehouse and logistic costs.
About Indian Farmers Fertiliser Cooperative (IFFCO)
IFFCO is multi-state cooperative society that is involved in the process of manufacturing and marketing of fertilisers. 57 member cooperatives comprise IFFCO and hence, it is the biggest co-op globally in terms of turnover on GDP per capita. Having a 19% market share in Urea and 29% in complex fertilisers it makes it the largest Indian fertiliser manufacturer.
IFFCO has planned for a massive campaign exercise to be held countrywide so as to demonstrate and train the farmers about the usage and application of nano urea.
Headquarter: New Delhi
Chairman: B.S Nakai
MD & CEO: Dr. U.S Awasthi