16th Pravasi Bharatiya Divas –Highlights
On January 9, Prime Minister Modi inaugurated the one-day virtual convention of the 16th Pravasi Bharatiya Divas.
- The Chief Guest of the 16th Pravasi Bharatiya Divas is Chandrikapersad Santokhi, the President of the Republic of Suriname.
- He also addressed the participants during the inaugural session.
- “Contributing to Aatmanirbhar Bharat” is the theme of the 16th Pravasi Bharatiya Divas.
- The Valedictory address of the convention was delivered by President Ram Nath Kovind.
- The names of the Pravasi Bharatiya Samman Awardees have also been announced during the inaugural convention of 16th Pravasi Bhartiya Divas.
- The names of 15 winners of the ‘Bharat Ko Janiye Quiz’ were also announced. These winners will be invited for a tour of India after the coronavirus pandemic.
- During his address, PM Modi said that India is ready to fight against COVID-19 and protect humanity with two COVID-19 vaccines.
Pravasi Bharatiya Divas is observed on January 9 after every 2 years. The date January 9 was chosen to be observed as the Pravasi Bharatiya Divas as on this day in the year 1915, Gandhiji returned to India from South Africa and led the Indian freedom struggle. This finally led to India’s Independence.
The 1st Pravasi Bharatiya Divas was organized in 2003 to recognize the contribution of the Overseas Indian community in the development of the country. Pravasi Bharatiya Divas is a unique platform that connects overseas Indians and allows discussion of issues of the Indian diaspora.