First National Elections in Palestine after 14 years
Palestine is going to held its first national elections in the year 2021. The election in Palestine will be done after 14 years. The President of Palestine, Mahmoud Abbas, has signed a decree on January 15, 2021 to held three elections namely- parliamentary election, presidential election and National Council elections this year.
- As per the President’s decree, the parliamentary elections will be conducted on May 22, the presidential elections on July 31 and the Palestinian National Council elections on August 31.
- The election committee and all state apparatuses have been instructed to launch a democratic election process in all the cities across Palestine.
- The President of Palestine signed the decree with the chairman of the Central Elections Commission (CEC) at the presidential headquarters in Ramallah, West Bank.
Why no elections held for 14 years?
- The Palestine had stopped conducting the election in the year 2007 after Hamas seized the Gaza Strip.
- After the Gaza was seized, the Two Palestinian groups namely the Hamas and Fatah have been against each other.
- But in September 2020 both the groups met in Turkey and agreed to hold parliamentary and presidential elections in the region.
- The official letter to end the internal Palestinian division and to hold the general elections was sent on December 31, 2020.
When was the first election conducted?
The Palestine had conducted its first ever legislative and presidential elections in the year 1996. The next election was scheduled to be held in 2009 which got postponed due to the Fatah–Hamas conflict.
The Fatah–Hamas conflict is also called as the Palestinian Civil War. It refers to a conflict between the two main Palestinian political parties namely the Fatah and Hamas. This conflict resulted in the split of the Palestinian Authority in the year 2007. As per the Palestinian Independent Commission for Citizens’ Rights, around 600 Palestinians were killed in the fighting in between January 2006 to May 2007.
Written by IAS POINT